This piece is very nearly finished now. I have glazed the background in a few thin layers of Transparent Maroon (Winsor and Newton) and softened the edges on the shadow side of the dog. I like the warm effect. I have also altered the shape of his face slightly as I didnt have it quite wide enough after the first sketch and washes. I have to do a little work on his Right (our left) eye, and then he will be complete and ready to go on the wall.
Below is the reference photo that I took to work from for the Dalmatian painting. I cropped and adjusted the image in Photoshop first till I was happy with the composition.